08 Mar 8340km // SEEKIRCHEN AM WALLERSEE // AUSTRIA
…With the sound of music (like everything in Austria, apparently).
But an update for those who haven’t been following on Instagram and Twitter: we are safe (in the roof-over-our-heads and food-by-the-kilogram-in-our-tummy kinda way) and getting to know our first stop, Seekirchen am Wallersee.
Some fun facts:
- Seekirchen am Wallersee means “Lake Church on the Waller Lake”
- It is also the home of Stevo’s aunt, Romana (that is her real name, although I think it should be ‘Best Frikkin Cook in the World’ – it’s a work in progress, but definitely a step in the right direction)
- We are currently living in the gemütlich Dachboden (cosy attic) of Romana’s 3-story home
- I won 5 Euro in the EuroMillions Lotto – maybe I should quit my job and travel the world? Oh wait…
- Morning meals consist of fresh Brötchen (bread rolls) with homemade jams, cold-meats and dairy-free butters and cheeses, and dinners have been a real cultural treat – Schnitzels, Sausages, and Leberkäse (a sort of meatloaf)
- Everyday is Solid Gold Sunday – the local radio stations play ALL the classics, ALL day
- And my German is picking up – I like to throw the odd word in when speaking and writing
Our days have been filled with eating, walking, cycling, eating, drinking of local beer, dusting snow off our clothes, eating, walking, taking photos and enjoying the Alps’ air. But mainly eating… I feel a little Eat Pray Love approaching…just hopefully without the new size jeans.
Below are some snaps from the first week. Hope you’re not missing us too much.